Wednesday 1 May 2013

Meatless-Meatloaf

Finally done all my exams! So it's about time I get to publishing the tasty recipes I've made, and kept to myself over the last few weeks.
I've been wanting to experiment and make vegan meatloaf for some time now. Ryan has never had meatloaf, and my parents rarely ever made it when I was a kid. So it's about time I vegan-ize this meat heavy dish. 
There are two things that all great meatloaves need: soy sauce and ketchup. If you are out of either of these ingredients, go out and pick up some supplies. I'm sure you could make the dish without them, but my loaf needs them.
I knew that I wanted to use TVP, but I also wanted to incorporate lentils. Both are very common in vegetarian meatloaves, and together they give texture and complexity to the base. As for the rest of the goodies, creative freedom is always welcomed. I used some of my favourite seeds, herbs, and of course mushrooms.

Serves about 6
Preheat oven to 375°F.

Ingredients


1 2/3 TVP (textured vegetable protein, granules)
1/2 cup dry red lentils, triple rinsed
1 cup boiling water
1 cup hot vegetable broth
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 cup quick oats
1/2 cup panko or bread crumbs
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/4 cup sunflower seeds or chopped walnuts (optional)
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 medium onion, minced
4-6 medium crimini mushrooms, chopped
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp  basil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp chopped chives

BBQ sauce: use your favoutite or combine 1/3 cup ketchup, 1 tbsp soy sauce and several dashes of chipotle smoky hot sauce and make your own BBQ sauce

Preparation


Preheat the oven to 375°F. 
Grease a 9x5 loaf pan.
In a medium bowl, combine the TVP and the lentils with the water, broth, soy sauce and ketchup. Mix to combine and let sit for 10-20 minutes.
Once all the liquid is absorbed, add remaining ingredients and mix well.
Pack the meatloaf mixture into a loaf pan and press down firmly on mix.
Bake for 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and lather on the BBQ sauce.
Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Let cool a minimum of 10 minutes before cutting into the loaf.


No comments:

Post a Comment