Beets are a carb-loaded winter vegetable that can be enjoyed boiled or roasted, hot or cold, plain or dressed. This salad isn't too sweet, and has a lot of zing! and crunch, walnuts are great for crunch.This salad can be made with roasted or boiled beets, it's completely up to you. If you are making a big batch of beets, you can also use plain leftover beets to make this salad.
- 6-8 medium beets, stems and ends removed
- 3/4-1 cup (3 oz) walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp red or white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard, coarse or smooth
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook beetroot; while cooking you can prepare steps 3 and 5.
- Roasted: wrap in tinfoil and bake at 400°F for about 60 minutes or until tender.
- Boiled: cook beets in boiling water for about 60 minutes.