Thursday 26 March 2015

Cold Soba Noodle Salad with Sesame-Soy Vinaigrette

       I'm not sure if you guys are aware of this, but my favourite type of food is Asian food. Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, you name it, it's all tasty. As the weather has been getting warmer, I've been craving many of my favourite summer dishes, cold soba noodle salad being one of them. So today I bring you my favourite "pasta salad" with an Asian twist. 


       I've been making this recipe for ages, and in general it's a real crowd pleaser. It was only recently though that I decided that it was about time I measure out exactly what I'm putting in it so that I can share this lovely salad with all of you!

Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 3-6

Ingredients:


  • 9oz/250g buckwheat soba noodles
  • 1-2 Tbsp peanut oil 
  • 2 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp sesame oil
  • 2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar 
  • 1/8 tsp or a pinch of chili flakes
  • 3 green onions, chopped
  • 1 large carrot, fine julienne or shredded (or spiralized!)
  • 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (optional)
  • 3 Tbsp sesame seeds, white and/or black


Preparation: 


  1. In a large pot of salted, boiling water, cook soba noodles until al dente, about 5-8 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, start mixing up the dressing: in small measuring cup or bowl, mix together soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar and chili flakes. Chop onions and shred, grate or fine julienne carrot. 
  3. When pasta is ready, drain and rinse with cold water, then put in large serving bowl and gently mix with peanut oil to stop them from sticking.
  4. Poor vinaigrette over noodles along with onions, carrots, cilantro, and 2 Tbsp of the sesame seeds. Toss and mix.
  5. Let cool for at least one (1) hour in the fridge before serving. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 Tbsp sesame seeds before serving.




No comments:

Post a Comment