Because this pesto is so much cheaper than a normal basil pesto, you don't feel so guilty having extra sauce, after all we've got to get our greens in somewhere.
Serves: 4-10 (makes about 750mL)
Time: 20 minutes
- 1 small bunch of collard greens (about 600g with stems)
- 1/3 cup walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 2 cloves of garlic, inner leaf stem removed
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice, about half a lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot of boiling water, blanch collards about 2 minutes, or until bright green.
- Once blanched, cut away the stems, if not already done, and give the collards a rough chop.
- Toss collards in a food processor with all the other ingredients (yes it's that easy!), starting with the lower quantities of oil and water.
- Blend on low to begin, then transition to a higher speed as the pesto starts coming together.
- Add more oil and water until desired texture is obtained.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.